Teacher Development Fund Grants Announced
Paul Hamlyn Foundation (PHF) is pleased to announce the six recipients of the Teacher Development Fund.
The Teacher Development Fund is a new initiative that supports the delivery of effective arts-based teaching and learning opportunities in the primary classroom, and embeds learning through the arts in the curriculum.
Grants of around £150,000 have been awarded to partnerships of schools and arts/cultural organisations and will support teachers and school leaders to develop the necessary skills, knowledge, confidence and experience to teach non-arts subjects using arts-based approaches. The work is delivered over two academic years.
The need for the Teacher Development Fund was identified by independent research and evaluation carried out by the Centre for the Use of Research and Evidence in Education (CUREE). PHF has also been reflecting on learning from The Teacher Development Trust’s ‘Developing Great Teaching,’ (2015) and the Department for Education’s ‘Standard for Teachers’ Professional Development.’
Moira Sinclair, Chief Executive at PHF said:
“Learning through the arts can engage and inspire young people, support key educational outcomes and develop skills that prepare them for the next phase of their lives. For many young people, particularly those experiencing the most disadvantage, the only opportunity to gain access to arts education is at school. That’s why we are delighted to announce the six partnerships that have a received a grant from our Teacher Development Fund. We were impressed by the quality of applications and look forward to seeing how the projects equip teachers with the skills and confidence needed to provide quality and impactful education and learning through the arts.”
The six successful projects are:
- All the School’s a Stage led by Charles Dickens Primary School (Southwark)
- Valuing Voices: Arts Leadership to Empower Pupils’ Communication led by Kent Special Educational Needs Trust (Kent)
- Active Learning in and through the Arts led by Sidegate Primary School (East of England)
- Confident Creators: Developing a Growth Mindset through the Arts led by Sudbourne Primary School (London)
- Tees Valley Creative Learning Partnership led by Tees Valley Education (Teesside)
- Embedding Singing as an Agent for Overall School Improvement led by The Voices Foundation (Yorkshire & the Humber and East Midlands)
The next round of applications to the Teacher Development Fund will open in Autumn 2018.
If you would like to register to receive information, please e-mail us on email@example.com.