We are looking for new, radical and innovative ideas which contribute to Paul Hamlyn Foundation’s wider commitment to help people realise their full potential. We prefer to be the first and main funder to support your idea. Find out more about PHF’s mission and values here.
What the Fund supports
- The Fund supports people who have an idea in its early stages of development.
- The proposed idea must be new, innovative, unusual or radical.
- We will consider funding work to enable you to develop the idea from concept to set-up. If you have already substantially piloted the idea, we would consider that the application was not in the early stage of development.
- The Fund supports ideas that could result in meaningful social change. Having personal experience of an issue is not enough: you will need to explain how your idea could lead to social impact beyond a few individuals or an immediate peer group.
- The proposed idea must have clear public benefit or charitable purpose – we want to understand the potential for wider impact beyond a handful of people.
What the Fund does not support
- The Ideas and Pioneers Fund does not support the delivery of events.
- The Fund does not support the production of a work of art or documentary film.
- The Fund is not appropriate for rolling out an approach that is already working or has been tried elsewhere in the UK – it aims to support new and innovative ideas.
Are you eligible?
Applicants can be individuals, small organisations or a small group of independent pioneers (no more than three). If you are applying as an organisation, this Fund is best suited to support small organisations that employ no more than five people (or full-time equivalent). All applications must have an individual lead contact who is closely involved in the work. Pioneers may be hosted by a support or incubator organisation: if so we will look to see that the project has independence from the host (in decision-making, for example).
The key qualities that we look for in pioneers are passion, commitment and resilience. You will be able to demonstrate experience and understanding of the issue/ social change you are seeking to address.
We welcome applications from people who have not received grant funding before and are keen to support people based anywhere in the UK. If you are applying as an individual, you must be aged 18 years or over.
In addition to PHF’s general exclusions, the Ideas and Pioneers Fund will not support:
- Applications from individuals aged under 18 years.
- Applications that do not have an individual lead contact who is directly involved with the work.
- If you are hosted by a support organisation, such as an incubator or think tank, which has more than five staff, we are not expecting to fund a percentage of overhead costs of the host organisation. (In some circumstances, staff from host organisations may act as consultants providing clearly defined support to projects.)
- We will not reconsider proposals for ideas which we have previously considered and turned down, unless we’ve explicitly invited you to re-submit your proposal. You may submit a new idea at any time. We can only accept one proposal to the Ideas and Pioneers Fund from an individual, team or organisation at any one time – and you can only hold one grant under the Fund.